Menyu's Famous Sweet & Spicy Slow Cooker Chili
Dec. 22nd, 2017 @ 7pm
Kevin Sims, Cofounder
This 'killer' chili recipe is a great "heart-warming" addition to any gathering of people for the holidays or occasional potlucks. One spoonful in and it starts out sweet thanks to the addition of the brown sugar with a kick of 'spiciness'. Not a spicy food person? Change out the Italian hot sausage for regular Italian sausage and don't add in any red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Even with these items removed your still guaranteed the same great chili taste.
The below ingredients require a prep time of about 30 minutes and 5 hours of cooking time on low, giving you about 6-8 servings.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups sweet onions such as Vidalia, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian hot sausage, removed from casing
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 pound ground bison (if cannot find I added another 80/20 ground beef or Italian sausage)
- 2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (Contadina brand recommended)
- 1 16-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 22-ounce can Bush's Grillin' Beans (Bourbon and Brown Sugar)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes (or less for less heat)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less for less heat)
- Juice from one lime
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Saltine Crackers to serve with chili
OK, here we go. In a large frying pan melt the butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add your bell pepper, onions and garlic and let caramelize for about 8-10 minutes. Then pour your caramelized vegetables in a large slow cooker. Heat the pan again with the remaining olive oil and add the sausage meat, ground beef and ground bison (or other additional meat) and cook until browned. Add all the meat to the slow cooker as well.
Now to finish it off add all other ingredients to the slow cooker except the lime, cheddar and crackers. Stir, cover and set to low for 5 hours. When finished stir in the lime juice with the cooked chili and serve topped with cheddar cheese and saltine crackers.
Beware this recipe will turn you into a fan favorite!